Tuesday, March 4, 2008

The Chemistry of Radio Lab

I've always considered myself fairly informed on media issues, which is why I was surprised and embarrassed to have not known about Radio Lab before now. I guess that's one of the reasons this class will be so valuable for my journalism--not only will I improve my writing but I will be exposed to a myriad of new and exciting sources. I can't wait to meet the two fellows who invented this fascinating show.

Radio Lab appeals to me because of its talent in fusing stories which I would have never thought could go together. For example, they often have a segment about animal behavior followed by a traditional report on an event or trend...all under one unifying theme. I was especially impressed by the episode on deception, which began with a scientist talking about a snake's defense mechanisms and continued on to social science surveys and an in-depth piece on a con-woman. It involved a lot of science, but everything was put into terms that a lay-person could understand, reminding us all to think about our audience as carefully as Radio Lab does. The bulk of NPR listeners aren't scientists. Therefore, you have to be careful not to alienate that person driving home from work listening in. This is accomplished, I've noted, not only by using accessible vocabulary, but by setting up the hosts as ordinary guys instead of experts. Their exclamations at learning cool technical things--"Wow!" "It blows my mind!"--pulls the listener, who feels the same way, into the experience. The message: "We are just like you. We didn't know this stuff either."

I was just talking to an LA Times journalist today, who was explaining the crisis of newspapers (readership is down, no one can figure out how to make the Internet profitable) and he noted that everyone thought TV would kill off radio. As we can all see, this wasn't true. Radio adapted and has continued to thrive, and Radio Lab is the perfect example of the kind of innovation it takes to keep a threatened industry afloat.

Listening to several episodes has also inspired me to pitch my own idea for a show when I meet them. I hope they'll turn a receptive ear to a fellow Obie .

No comments: